The runner up in season nine of the Biggest Loser knows all about effective weight loss and has teamed up with Rite Aid to offer weight loss tips to the general public.
In her seven months on the show, Ashley Johnston lost 183 pounds and set a record among female contestants. However, she doesn’t advise the rapid weight loss they undergo on the show. According to Johnston and Rite Aid pharmacist Sarah Matunisis healthy weight loss is between half a pound and two pounds a week. This is part of what is included in the offered weight loss tips.
The weight loss tips, part of a 12 page booklet, offer many suggestions for a healthy diet plan. Johnston admits that there are no weight loss products she uses. “There’s no magic pill for weight loss,” she says. “It’s just hard work.”
Some of the many tips included in the booklet are:
- Keep a food diary to see what changes can be made.
- Drink water, not sodas.
- Sit down for meals and set an example for children. Encourage children to exercise for at least 60 minutes a day.
- Read food labels, and eat fresh fruits and vegetables daily
- First and foremost, start counting calories to make sure that you’re burning more calories than you’re eating.
- Avoid processed foods.
- If you can afford a personal trainer, hire one.
- Try group fitness classes.