The CDC recently announced that 3 people have died and 2 others are sick after eating Listeria-contaminated Blue Bell Ice Cream products in Kansas.
Listeria contaminated Blue Bell Products have also been found in Texas and South Carolina after the CDC tested the companies facilities there; no one has been reported sick in those states as of now.
Listeria poisoning can be deadly, especially to the elderly, young people, pregnant women and those with compromised immune symptoms are at a higher risk than others of becoming ill.
The company issued a statement, saying it has recalled the products in question and determined that the contamination occurred during production from a machine used to shape the ice cream into cookies and forms.
The machine has been taken off line and production is currently stopped.
Most retailers and supermarkets have removed the product already, but you can check against the list below to make sure.
If anyone has any of the following Blue Bell products in their possession, they should NOT be eaten (any Blue Bell product not on the list is considered safe):
Chocolate Chip Country Cookie (SKU #196), Great Divide Bar (SKU #108), Sour Pop Green Apple Bar (SKU #221), Cotton Candy Bar (SKU #216), Scoops (SKU #117), Vanilla Stick Slices (SKU #964), Almond Bar (SKU #156), 6 pack Sour Pop Green Apple Bars (SKU #249), 6 pack Cotton Candy Bars (SKU #245), 12 pack No-Sugar added Moo Bars (SKU #343).
If you did eat a tainted product you should go immediately to the ER if you experience any of the following symptoms: stomach cramps, muscle cramps, diarrhea, fever and chills.
Symptoms can appear anywhere from a few days to a few weeks after eating a tainted product.
If you didn’t eat any of the tainted products, but have them in your possession, throw them out and thoroughly wash contaminated areas.
Anyone who is concerned can contact the FDA at http://www.fda.gov. or call 1-888-SAFEFOOD Monday through Friday.
What do you think of this deadly outbreak? Share your thoughts with us below.