Daytona 500 Rescheduled For Monday At Noon, Rain In Forecast

For the first time in the history race at the Daytona International Speedway, the Daytona 500 has been rescheduled for another day. And it very well may happen again before this race is actually run.

The forecast for Monday includes an 80% chance of rain, with thunderstorms in the afternoon. Tuesdays forecast is sunnier, with a 20% chance of rain during the day.

Track officials announced early Sunday evening that, due to the rainy weather and inability to dry the track because of the on and off showers, the race would be postponed until the following day. It’s now scheduled for 12 noon on Monday. If the weather happens to cooperate, it will be shown live on FOX at that time.

The postponement eliminates a possible three way TV ratings free-for-all. If the race had simply been delayed until Sunday evening, it would have gone up against both the Oscars and the NBA All-Star game.

When the race is run, Carl Edwards will be in the pole position. Danica Patrick will start from the 28th position, and this will be her first start in the Daytona 500.

In addition to being shown on FOX, the 54th running of the Daytona 500 will also be available through a live streaming radio feed (yep, radio only, but at least a way to keep up with the race while at work). The feed is here. There are no (legal) live video feeds of the race over the internet.

Consumer Expert Faroh Sauder

Faroh Sauder has spent more than 30 years working as a journalist and educator. He has written on politics, international affairs, civil rights, and consumer education.

Now mostly retired, Faroh continues to stay current on tech and consumer issues and reports on his interests here at News For Shoppers.