Better start reading, because there are eight movies coming out before the end of 2014 that have been made from books.
Bookstore and online retailer Books-A-Million, Inc. has released a list of these books and their movie release dates.
• The Giver, adapted from the book by Lois Lowry about a boy who is raised in an ordered society with no war or disease, who is then trained to be the new Receiver of Memories. The movie stars Jeff Bridges, Taylor Swift, Katie Holmes, and Meryl Streep and will be released on August 15, 2014.
• If I Stay is a story by Gayle Forman that tells about a young cellist who has a near death experience in a car accident. While her body is in a coma, she watches and flashes back on her life, all the while deciding whether to fight to survive. The release date is August 22, 2014, and stars Chloe Grace Moretz, Mireille Enos, Jamie Blackley, and Liana Liberato.
• Dark Places is the first of two novels by Gillian Flynn that you can see on the silver screen this year. In it, a girl searches to find the truth about who murdered her mother and sisters twenty five years earlier. Starring Chloe Grace Moretz, Charlize Theron, Nicholas Hoult, and Corey Stoll, the movie version comes out September 1, 2014.
• This Is Where I Leave You is a lighter comedy amongst the serious themes in these books and movies. Written by Jonathan Tropper, this tells the story of a dysfunctional family who gathers together in one home after the death of their father. The movie will be released on September 12, 2014 and stars Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, and Jane Fonda.
• Maze Runner, the first in a book series by James Dashner, tells of a boy who wakes up knowing only his name. He is trapped in a maze with a number of other boys who all have to learn to survive on their own. Starring Dylan O’Brien, Kaya Scodelario, Will Poulter, and Thomas Brodie-Sangster, the movie will be released on September 19, 2014.
• Gone Girl is the second book by Gillian Flynn to become a movie this year. It tells the story of a women who disappears on her fifth wedding anniversary. Her husband acts strangely, but is he capable of murder? Watch this movie on October 13, 2014, starring Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris, and Tyler Perry.
• Wild is based on a true story by Cheryl Strayed of her solo journey along the Pacific Coast Trail through California and Oregon as she comes to terms with events in her personal life. The movie stars Reese Witherspoon, Gaby Hoffmann, Laura Dern, and Michiel Huisman and will be released on December 5, 2014.
• Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand, tells the remarkable story of a delinquent boy from humble beginnings who goes on to compete in the Olympics, serve in the Air Force, become stranded on a life raft, and get thrown into a war-time prison camp. This movie will be released on December 25, 2014, and stars Jack O’Connell, Domhnall Gleeson, Jai Courtney, and Luke Treadaway.
These books are available at Books-A-Million and other retailers.