MTV Video Music Awards 2012 is over and we saw One Direction as the biggest winner with 3 prizes after appearing on the American pop scene just 6 months ago.
These 5 former X Factor contestants ended up beating Rihanna and Justin Bieber for the best pop video and The Wanted for the best new artists.
One Direction also won the fans voted award for What Makes You Beautiful, their debut single. Fans were also delighted to see them perform One Thing live, which is the latest release for the band. Band member Harry Styles declared when being presented the VMA best new artist trophy: “To win one Moonman is amazing, to win two is incredible!”
Rihanna and Drake both had 5 nominations. Drake only won 1 trophy for HYFR. Rihanna managed to win just one for We Found Love, the trophy for video of the year. She said while taking the Moonman: “I love you guys! This is awesome.”
Nicki Minaj had her share of the show when she was awarded best female video. The award was for Starships. Chris Brown managed to get 2 awards: best chorepgraphy and best male video.
Calvin Harris, who worked with Rihanna for We Found Love, won the electronic dance category with Feel So Close.
The complete list of VMA winners is:
- Video of the year – Rihanna, “We Found Love”
- Best choreography – Chris Brown, “Turn Up the Music”
- Most share-worthy video – One Direction, “What Makes You Beautiful”
- Best art direction – Katy Perry, “Wide Awake”
- Best Electronic dance music video – Calvin Harris, “Feel So Close”
- Best video with a message – Demi Lovato, “Skyscraper”
- Best pop video – One Direction, “What Makes You Beautiful”
- Best direction – M.I.A., “Bad Girls”
- Best male video – Chris Brown, “Turn Up the Music”
- Best hip-hop video – Drake, “HYFR”
- Best female video – Nicki Minaj, “Starships”
- Best rock video – Coldplay, “Paradise”
- Best new artist – One Direction
- Best editing- Beyonce, “Countdown”
- Best visual effects – Skrillex, “First of the Year (Equinox)”
- Best cinematography – M.I.A., “Bad Girls”