Taco Bell Meat – “Mystery Meat” Scandal Brewing?

Taco Bell’s meat has come into question after a lawsuit was filed by an Alabama law firm.

According to Montgomery based law firm ‘Beasley Allen’, Taco Bell ‘meat’  has very little meat in it. They are filing a class action lawsuit that claims false-advertising against the fast food giant.

Taco Bell’s “meat” is actually called  “Taco Meat Filling”, according to a report on gizmodo.com, “only 36% of that is beef. The other 64% is mostly tasteless fibers.”

So what’s in the meat, er…  “Taco Meat Filling”?  According to documents filed in the case, it contains: Isolated Oat Product, wheat oats, soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agent, autolyzed yeast extract, modified corn starch and sodium phosphate, as well as beef and seasonings.

Responding to an enquiry from WFSA, Taco Bell’s spokesman Rob Poetsch said: “Taco Bell prides itself on serving high quality Mexican inspired food with great value.  We’re happy that the millions of customers we serve every week agree. We deny our advertising is misleading in any way and we intend to vigorously defend the suit.”

The USDA says that products labeled “beef” should be “Chopped fresh and/or frozen beef with or without seasoning and without the addition of beef fat as such, shall not contain more than 30 percent fat, and shall not contain added water, phosphates, binders, or extenders.”

Sure Start News attempted to investigate Taco Bell’s description of their meat and food, to confirm that they do indeed call it ‘beef’. Interestingly enough, we found their website was down.  It’s unknown if this is related to the lawsuit and sudden interest in the meat.